We wanted to give you the chance to get to know some of the wonderful people working behind the scenes at BridesMade. What better way to get to know someone than a round of 21 questions? This week our Q&A will be filled out by Mallory McKewen, CEO of BridesMade. Here we go!
1. Who are you named after? I was actually named after the character Mallory from Family Ties, a hit show in the 80s!
2. What was your first job? Should I admit? My very first job was in the Fashion department at Zellers when I was 15. Humble beginnings have brought me to where I am in the fashion industry today :)
3. Favourite movie? I have a few, but for the purpose of this survey I'll go with 27 Dresses. Katherine Heigl is a favourite actress of mine, but what I really love is how they portray our value proposition here at BridesMade so clearly; I eat, sleep, breathe, and even watch movies with BridesMade on my mind!
4. Biggest fear? SNAKES.
5. Sweet or salty snacks? I have a serious sweet tooth.
6. Will you ever bungee-jump? Definitely, but I haven't to date. Hopefully my mom doesn't read this blog.
7. What’s your favourite cereal? Lucky Charms - see Question 5.
8. What’s the first thing you notice about people? Compassion. Toronto is so busy that we often don't even notice the people we brush shoulders with as we walk by, but I find I can find someone performing a kind gesture or with a contagious smile from a mile away - those are the people I remember.
9. What is your eye colour? Hazel.
10. Favourite video game? Mario Tennis, it was the highlight of my days when I was studying full-time Accounting.
11. Favorite smells? Freshly cut hay; I'm a horseback rider, and although this smell makes my eyes water a little, it takes me out of the city and back to my roots.
12. Summer or winter? Wedding season! (So, mostly summer).
13. One thing you could change about yourself? I'm certainly not perfect, but I wouldn't change a thing. Though I do have this habit of reading books about 90% of the way through then moving onto the next, I wish I'd stop doing that.
14. What’s the furthest you’ve ever been from home? I've actually never traveled outside of North America, but I've still had some fantastic international experience. In 2008 I rode (horses) for Team Canada, and although the event (Youth World Cup) was held on North American soil I had the opportunity to spend some amazing time with the top 5 horseback riders under the age of 18 from 23 international countries.
15. Do you have any special talents? Nothing particularly notable, but you should see the tricks we've trained my dog Molly to do!
16. Next place you want to visit? I've been to San Francisco in the past - when I was working corporate - but I'd like to spend some time there now that I'm a full fledged entrepreneur.
17. What are your hobbies? I'm a passionate horseback rider, so that is undoubtedly my favourite hobby. Aside from that, I enjoy keeping active with any sport I can: Softball, soccer, and I'm starting to learn the ropes of squash. I also enjoy riding my bike around the city and on the lakefront trail here in Toronto.
18. Do you have any pets? I am an animal lover! I've got a Mini Aussiedoodle named Molly and a horse named Harley.
19. What would you do if you won $50,000,000? I would move back someplace where I could keep my horse(s) in my backyard as I'd done growing up. I'd continue to pursue my own entrepreneurial venture while making angel investment in other promising Canadian startups, and definitely give back to Laurier: the university where I learned so much over the 7 years I spent there, and continue to learn from through the Launchpad Accelerator Program of which BridesMade is a part.
20. One thing you can't live without? My dog Molly, I couldn't imagine coming home to my condo without her to greet me.
21. What do you want to be when you grow up? An entrepreneur who solves real problems. I'm living that dream!
Is there anything else you'd like to know about Mallory? Comment below, e-mail us at email@example.com, or tweet us @BridesMadeCA!